Popular Posts

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Fishing & friends



I love fishing!  It’s one of my favorite ways to spend time.  I really enjoy being out on the water and being in nature.  Being in the boat, fishing pole in hand and waiting for the “bite” to happen is so fun.  The feeling of a fish taking the lure, the pole bending over is magical; it’s hard to explain to someone who has never fished before.  
 
This last Saturday, I was blessed once again to be out on a boat fishing with friends.   We were fishing for salmon in Tillamook Bay.  It was a beautiful day; the weather was perfect, clear, sunny about 70 degrees, no wind until the afternoon.  As I looked around I see the beauty of creation.  The bay, the hills with trees, the sunrise, all amaze me.  How is it possible to not believe that this was all created by God.  It all speaks to His glory and creativity.  But I guess that’s a discussion for another time.
 
As we fished there was stories told of fishing glory in the past, stories of funny things that have happened long ago.  On this day I was blessed to be fishing with a guy I have fished with several times before.  GI is 84 years old and one of the funniest people I have ever met.  I always enjoy time spent fishing with GI.  GI is one of those guys who has a million funny stories.   He has lived through some very funny stuff.   GI’s stories remind me of Patrick McMannis or Robert Fulghum.  If you have never read any McMannis or Fulghum books I strongly recommend them.  
 
On this day I see something else that is beautiful.  It’s the relationship between my friend Donald and GI.  Donald’s father passed away within a month of GI’s son passing away.  These two men have developed a relationship that is so cool.  Donald is like a son to GI and GI is like a father figure to Donald.  Their relationship is beautiful!  These two guys are living life together.  As I watch and listen to them, I think to myself; what would this world be like if every young man had an older man to live life with, a man to give guidance and share experience with.  I think the world would be a far better place.  I am blessed to still have my father living.  But I still think to myself maybe I need to start excepting applications for an older man to live life with.  I love my dad, but have heard all his funny stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment