Popular Posts

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fathers day

This is a subject that means a lot to me, a day that holds special meaning to me.  I first want to start by thanking my father for all he has done for me.  My dad has helped raise me into the man I am today.  He has taught me about Jesus and has walked with me in my journey to faith.  I think maybe I should take a time out and go back and explain how it all started.

My Mom and Dad got married when I was five years old.  When they were dating, there was a time when I needed surgery to have tubes put in my ears and the tonsils and adenoids removed. The ears were a big deal,. Mom was told that I would lose my hearing without the tubes.  My biological father declined paying for the surgery even though it was part of the divorce.  My dad informed my mom that if my biological dad did not want to be my father, he did.  To this day I am amazed by this story. My dad chose me. He wanted me to be his son.  I think there are very few men who would have done this.  To this day at 39 years old, I know I am loved and wanted by my father; he has lived this for me many times over.

So at five, Mom and I moved to the farm on the hill.  I still today live on this same farm today.  My children are the seventh generation to live here on this small piece of the planet.  Its on this farm I was raised and here that I learned to first drive a tractor, then later a car.  Dad has always been one my biggest teachers. When I needed to learn about cars, fishing, girls and how to fix things, he was the go-to guy.  When I first started dating my wife, dad was there with the fatherly wisdom that only comes from age and experience.  Some of this advise I failed to listen too and years later would kick myself for not listening.  When we got married, Dad was there giving me advise and thoughts on how things should be done and how I should treat my wife.  My father adores my mother. She is his world and he is very quick to tell he how much he loves her.

When my kids were born dad took it to a whole new level.  He started teaching me how to be a father.  This I have to say: he has been doing almost all my life - teaching by example.  Today I still look to Dad's wisdom at times when I need his guidance and strength.

I will never forget my first driving lesson. Dad was in the passengers seat riding with me as I pulled into our gravel driveway going way too fast. The truck spun sideways as I slammed on the brakes. Dad calmly said "little too fast." His attitude was - it happens, take it easy, you're doing fine.  When I raced my first kart race it was Dad watching from the fence.  His wisdom was "don't go too fast too soon." When I crashed the kart his words were "that can happen".   There have been several times I have failed in my life and dad has always been there for me.  When I spent 18 days last summer in the hospital it was dad who was there every day sitting with me as I slept.  During that time I took a ton of pain meds and watched a lot of Fox news channel.  Dad is about as conservative as you can get.  Dad still calls me almost daily to check in and see how I am doing.  Dad is a man who loves deeply and is passionate about his family; if you're around him for any length of time you will be reminded you are loved.

Well, that's about it for my thoughts on my father - this special day that we celebrate fathers.  It's one of the toughest jobs ever (if done right).  Happy fathers day to all dads!     ~Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment